Bach y Graig built in 1567 is the first brick built building in Wales, with the original datestone of 1567. Built by Sir Richard Clough, born in Denbigh a son of a glover, who became rich as a merchant and agent in Antwerp for Sir Thomas Gresham the well known financer and founder of the Royal Exchange in London.
The architectural style owes much to Sir Richard,s Dutch associations. His wife known as the "Mother of Wales" Katheryn of Berain was second cousin to Queen Elizabeth
Bach y Graig later passed into the ownership of Mrs Thrale (Salusbury) the English writer noted for her friendship with Dr. Samuel Johnson the well known lexicographer,critic and conversationalist who himself visited Bach y Graig in 1774.
In 1817 the main hall was demolished, the large impressive gatehouse and farm buildings still stand today, the gatehouse is now the main farmhouse.
Bach y Graig,
North Wales. LL17 OUH
Tel: +44(0)1745 730627